Slow overlay image loading

gb / 2013-08-22 17:05:17   

I just finished building a new site with CMS 2. The updates are great. I've done a lot of customization and am hung up on 1 problem.

Overlay seems slow.

Firebug shows that ajax.php takes about 1.5 seconds to load between images. Is there any way to speed this up? (I saw this thread indexhibit.org/forum/thread/18016/ but the sleep line no longer exists).

It would also seem faster if overlay did not display a blank white screen between images. Is there a way to keep an image on view until the next image loads (the way the titles work now)? That would at least keep visitors from looking at a blank white screen/loading animation.

Any other ideas? Is it possible to preload the full res images?

Thanks for any help.

gideonbarnett.com

gb / 2013-08-22 17:07:46   

I should have mentioned that there is a 1.5 second delay between images even when the full res photos are already cached. Any ideas?

gb / 2013-08-24 15:09:39   

No one?

For anyone that's interested:

Change sleep(1) to sleep(0) in plugin.jxs_ndxzbox.php. This problem was noted in the thread I listed above 8 months ago, but it's still present in the current download which I purchased last week. Maybe update to save people from asking the same question/spending time on the same issues.

I also set up a bootleg preloader which speeds up overlay even more, and would work as well with other formats. Turn off "text processing" to the exhibit, put in a div with id=preload. Insert all of your images into this div. It should look like this:

On your stylesheet add

#preload {width:1px; height:1px; display:hidden;}

The browser will now download and cache the full res images as soon as you load an exhibit. This extra step of dropping a list of images into the exhibit is annoying, but it's worth it to speed up this format, which prior to these changes, functioned at a glacial pace.

Now if I could only get overlay to stop flashing a white screen in between every image it would be almost seamless. I want to keep an image displayed until the next image loads. Why look at a white screen? Any ideas here? I think it must be in the JS or PHP somewhere beyond my scope of understanding.

Vaska A / 2013-08-25 08:28:15   

Just remove the sleep commands.

This thread has been closed, thank you.