Content loading inside Menu

SirEd / 2010-04-20 00:21:52   

Hello friends of the Indexhbit, I am wandering if it is possible to make the description of images (the textual content of the site) to load right under the menu, and what is the better solution for that... i use a menu that is expandable, it would be nice if the description makes the movement along with it...
So I don't know if what i am asking is insanity, but i think it would left more room for images and be cool at the same time...
Thanks in advance!
the developing site is this one:
patterns
or
http://kawazs.com/sired/clean/index.php?/t-shirts/patterns/

SirEd / 2010-04-20 01:10:17   

other doubt that i have is:
how can i create a subtle fade in just in the content of the site but not in the menu?...

SirEd / 2010-04-21 03:52:52   

someone, please?
vaska?
anyone?

Vaska A / 2010-04-21 04:04:01   

I'm not really sure what question you are working on...I don't see any problem and what do you mean by 'fade'?

SirEd / 2010-04-21 19:27:25   

Sorry if i did not made it very clear...
what i want is something like that:
http://kawazs.com/sired/clean/example.jpg
you can compare here:
http://kawazs.com/sired/clean/index.php?/projects/o-corcundinha/

I want the text that use to appear in the X position, to load inside the menu, in the lower part of it... since i have few itens in the menu, it would leave more space for images and such in the rest of the page, and the descriptions would float along with the menu, since it is a horizontal layout...

My second question was:
How to make a subtle fade in, just in the images, a fade in from white (a subtle transition, almost like an animation), should i use a javacript or something like that? I had tried one time but it happened that everytime that i click something, the menu load again with the fade in, i mean the whole site had the effect...
but i think this is a secondary matter for me...
So if you can help me with one of this questions, i'll be very grateful...

Thanks again for your patience!

SirEd / 2010-04-23 04:14:03   

Someone understands what i am trying to do?
if yes, please help me!

rickykappa / 2010-04-23 08:04:02   

I see what you want, but it seems a bit complicated to achieve: I'd try to start position the text div via css...
but really I don't agree so much with your starting point: now you have few items in the menu, what about tomorrow or after? besides, how about when a user is going to expand the whole menu, what's going to happen to your text? if you want the text to scroll with the page I'm seeing very difficult to make it also move downside when the menu is expanded...
at the end: what's the meaning of leaving more space to images when the page is scrollable and/or your text is at the very end of it on the right side?
imho it's too much effort for uncertain results...
;-)

SirEd / 2010-04-23 18:26:35   

I see what you mean, i was thinking that would be interesting if the viewer could always read the description while scrolling around the site and not have to scrolll all way left or right to read it...
BUt you have a point there, if it will not work properly, i will not use it... Any suggestion on the layout?
do you think that the description in the far right of the site doesn't works well?

Thank you very much
:)

rickykappa / 2010-04-24 09:12:18   

it depends on you if you prefere to first let people watch at the pictures and after at the text, or in the opposite way...
personally I prefere to let people have an introductory text (example), but sometimes I also have the text on the right, like this page.
as for your first question you might try to give in your css rules a postion:fixed; to the text div, so you could achieve having the text not moving while the page could scroll. I didn't try it with the text div, but it should work as on my scrolling arrows div in the above pages.

SirEd / 2010-05-11 16:28:37   

I made a floating text with a button to hide it...

http://kawazs.com/sired/clean/index.php?/projects/o-corcundinha/

fell free to make sugggestions or use the idea...

but i still have a bit of trouble to make the button change to Minus sign after click it... I don't have much experience with Js...

rickykappa / 2010-05-11 17:09:15   

nice!
it works with my windows/firefox, did you test it with other os/browsers? if you try to validate the page gives many errors, might be a problem with ie...

SirEd / 2010-05-12 05:50:34   

Oh thanks for the advice, I tested on mozilla firefox/internet explorer and goggle chrome all on windows, and so far so good. But i'm a still a total beginner on programming so i'm not sure how to validate ir, any help would be aprecciated...
maybe is because my code is a total bizarre frankenstein...
so any suggestions, i'll be very glad.

By the way, i wonder if there is a Js to make the description to open slightly slower... but that is just a detail...

Thanks for the help Ricky!

rickykappa / 2010-05-12 06:57:48   

hi,
this is the xhtml validator

I've had a look to your css: be aware you're commenting there as is usually done in the html code
< !-- comment -->
but in css should be
/* comment */
btw this is the css validator

this is the control for toggling speed, the number is usually considered in milliseconds:
$('#the_text').toggle(200);

have fun!
;-)

SirEd / 2010-05-12 18:57:09   

I had lessons on HTML a very long time ago in a distant galaxy, so that is why i commented that way! haha
I will change everything ASAP!
Thank You!
:)

SirEd / 2010-05-13 19:12:14   

One last thing, there is a way to change the space that is left in the right margin of the page after i moved the text to the position fixeD?

ok it sounds a bit complicated, but what i'm trying to say is that is a lot of white space in the right margin...

thanks...

rickykappa / 2010-05-13 20:18:25   

yes, you can definitely control that with css.
I don't remember now if it's in the dynamic css part or in style.css, should be easy to find it out however.
that value is such wide to eventually allow the last image on the right to be centered when called from a link, preventing it - specially if you have small size images - to get stuck on the right side of the screen. hope it makes sense...
so it depends on your choice of image size, can/must be customized according to your needs.
;-)

rickykappa / 2010-05-13 20:32:12   

edit: ops, memory lack! I see now you're not using this as I thought...
so, the short answer is:
yes, you can definitely control that with css!
;-)

BN / 2010-06-23 05:24:51   

Hello SirEd I wonder if you might share how to create the floating project description button?

It's very cool!

Hope to hear from you.

Thanks.

SirEd / 2010-08-22 14:54:39   

Hello BN, sorry for my delay, i didn't visited here for a while... if i remember right i changed the position of description to fixed or something like that... but to be honest i'm not good at programming, so i was bit lucky that it actually worked, you can use the firebug (a firefox plugin) and figure it out how i did it.

This thread has been closed, thank you.