how to create a dummy website

zoltan / 2008-10-07 09:12:23   

hi there!

I am cery pleased that i found very coincidentaly indexhibit, because it offers exactly the same scheme I was thinking about for my website and it is quite easy to handle. So, thanx a lot for providing it.
Since I'm very unexperience with all that web stuff, I wanted to create dummy site in e. g. www.blabla.com/test first.
I thought if I create a folder called test and copy all the indexhibit suff into it. but then I am not allowed to enter the site.
1. What can I do? I want to see all the sites, play a bit with the style sheet and so on. and at the end I want to copy it back in the right position of hierarchie...
2. On the other hand, I 'd like to:
- change the fontstyle, size partly
- the appearance and performance of the "buttons"
- the positions of the images (borders)
- text in two columns
- text next to an image
- more than one single empty line in the structure on the left side, but also on the right side, between 2 images or between text an image.

If some could tell me a least how to create a dummy site and what to do if i have to go back to the start. that would help a lot for the beginning.

cheers.

purf / 2008-10-07 09:46:30   

couple of questions:
have you installed already? probably, so:
where is your indexhibit?

you automatically make a "dummy", so to speak, when you (from the install instructions) "upload the contents of the indexhibit folder into the desired folder on your site". "Folder" being important here, e.g. yoursite.com/test/ - voilà, there's your hidden dummy to play around with.

And, yes, in the end, just move all the content from yoursite.com/test/ to yoursite.com/. Simple as that.

What do you mean by "but then I am not allowed to enter the site."?
When you make use of a special folder (test), you enter via yoursite.com/test/ndxz-studio/

zoltan / 2008-10-07 10:21:12   

thanx,

yesterday, i created a folder test at my ftp thing. copied all the things into it. but on www.mysite.com/test apeared error 403 "ZUGRIFF NICHT ERLAUBT.Die angeforderte Seite darf nicht angezeigt werden."
then i went on www.mysite.com/test/ndxz-studio/ i could enter the program matrix as normal, but the link "to my site" showed that text from above

cheers

Vaska A / 2008-10-07 10:54:52   

What's your url?

zoltan / 2008-10-07 11:19:00   

zoltanadorjani.com
but i havent changed the index.html , because i didnt find out so far how to do and first i wanted to make some experiments before i put the site online and everyone can see how stupid i am :-)

zoltan / 2008-10-07 13:11:35   

ok. i found that you, vaska, have posted already a lot of answers to my questions. so i work it out...

This thread has been closed, thank you.